What is the ASD Essential 8?
The Australian Signals Directorate’s Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC) has developed prioritised mitigation strategies, in the form of the Strategies to Mitigate Cyber Security Incidents, to help organisations mitigate cyber security incidents caused by various cyber threats. The most effective of these mitigation strategies are known as the Essential Eight (ACSC Essential 8).
To assist organisations in determining the maturity of their implementation of the Essential Eight, three maturity levels have been defined for each mitigation strategy. The maturity levels are defined as:
Essential 8 Maturity Model
- Maturity Level One: Partly aligned with the intent of the mitigation strategy
- Maturity Level Two: Mostly aligned with the intent of the mitigation strategy
- Maturity Level Three: Fully aligned with the intent of the mitigation strategy
As a baseline organisations should aim to reach Maturity Level Three for each mitigation strategy. However, some organisations are constantly targeted by highly skilled adversaries or otherwise operate in a higher risk environment. Where the ACSC believes an organisation requires a maturity level above that of Maturity Level Three, the ACSC will provide tailored advice to meet the specific needs of the organisation.
How Vectra can help with the ASD Essential 8
Vectra has the resources to help you achieve maturity model 3 within the ASD Essential 8, it can be achieved through
- Review of current procedures and practices
- Maturity remediation plan
- Implementation of solutions to achieve the 3 maturity levels, as per the remediation plan