What is a Wireless Penetration Test?
A variety of penetration tests exist to check the security of your systems in different areas. Wireless penetration tests focus on your wireless system as a gateway to your data. A Wi-Fi network is not the only area these tests check but also Bluetooth, ZigBee and Z-Wave devices.
When undergoing a test, Vectra will perform an ethical ‘hack’ on your system. As leading cyber security experts in Australia, we understand the many complex ways that hackers will try to access your systems. Using these pathways, Vectra will attempt to exploit any weaknesses in an authorised hack. By finding weaknesses now, we can ensure hackers don’t gain access later.
How does a wireless pen test happen?
Vectra utilises a number of hacking protocols to try accessing your business data through your wireless network.
As industry leaders, Vectra has developed a 6 step approach to wireless pen testing.
- Information Gathering – collecting data to prepare a security attack
- Threat Modelling – designing ways to test the weaknesses
- Vulnerability Analysis – defining the possible points of entry
- Exploitation – attempting to gain sensitive data
- Post Exploitation – evaluating the level of risk to your business known weaknesses
- Reporting – providing a detailed report of strategies to improve your security
Throughout this process, we perform a number of test including:
- Attempting to breach your wireless hotpot
- Assessing your Wireless LAN (WLAN)
- Attempting to access your Bluetooth, ZigBee and Z-Wave devices
- Detecting any guest Wi-Fi weaknesses
- Identifying secure router setups
- Assessing default settings on all wired networks
- Testing your protocols and governance
Once we have undergone a comprehensive investigation of your current wireless security, we will provide solutions for improvement.
As industry leaders, Vectra is known for providing thorough reports for all of our penetration testing services. In these reports, you will receive information on the tests we ran along with the security weaknesses we could exploit.
After identifying vulnerabilities in your wireless network, we can suggest security developments to start a remediation process.
Benefits of Wireless Penetration Testing
Once our 6 step process is complete, you can enjoy assurance that:
- Company data and intellectual property is secure
- You’ve met compliance requirements for PCI DSS, SOX, GLBA and HIPAA
- Customer data is safe